31 replies to this topic

#21 Rick Starr

Rick Starr

My Special Little Guy

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

The Falkland Islands! Rick knew where that was, kind of. He sighed and looked out over the island wondering exactly how he managed to end up here. If he was going to hazard a guess from all the clues It probably had something to do with drugs. Maybe Imaginary Boreas was right and there was considerably more of a problem with waking up thousands of miles from home then initially estimated.

"That's great, do you know what the estimated time is going to be? I want to know how long I'm going be stuck out here with the penguins." 

Were there normally penguins in the Falkland Islands? Rick would have to look that up in the library next time he wasn't lost in the southern hemisphere. He'd have to look up information about the centipedes as well. 

user posted image

#22 Kristján

Kristján

the devil you know

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

"Not more than two hours."

Kelly privately noted that it would be a lot less if somebody asked him to do data entry or some other awful thing, which would mean he'd immediately have to go rescue a wealthy and famous American celebrity superhero. In fact, he should just do that now.

"So just try not to upset any of the wildlife and we'll be with you shortly."

#23 Rick Starr

Rick Starr

My Special Little Guy

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Two hours and then he could go get a shower and learn more about penguins. Yes, Richard Starr was capable of waiting for two hours because he was an adult and didn't need constant mental stimulation. He fidgeted uncomfortably on his spot slightly farther away from the albatross who seemed to have finally decided that fish was not worth the waste of further precious stomach oils. 

"What are you doing?" Imaginary Boreas was standing behind Rick. 

"Don't you normally come out when you're feeding off of my problems or trying to get me to do something?" He twisted around in his damp clothes to look up at the figment of his imagination. Rick had never quite been able to put his finger on what made him recognize his friend's hallucinatory counterpart as distinctive from the real Boreas. Maybe it was the fact he always seemed to have personal information on Rick that he wanted to talk about or maybe it was just that he was even more of a cartoon then Cameron could ever hope to be. 

"Okay, now you're just being offensive. I have a life outside of you, you know. Maybe sometimes I just want to hang out with my real life brother from a corporeal mother." 

"Yeah, okay. I guess?" He laid back in the grass and Imaginary Boreas stretched out beside him. The two sat in silence watching the clouds drift overhead as Rick awaited his rescue boat back to reality.

"You know that cloud kind of looks like a baseball player." 

"Yeah, it kind of does…" 

user posted image

#24 Kristján

Kristján

the devil you know

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Reserve Constable Kelly left immediately upon terminating the phone call to go rescue this very important person who needed him to step away from desk work. It only took him about forty-five minutes to reach the coordinates he'd been instructed were the likely location of the Insectoid Man. Would he actually be insectoid? That would actually be sort of nice. 

But then again maybe not. Who could say why and how any of those people named themselves? 

He stopped the car and looked around with very large round dark grey eyes, tilting his head to one side and then the other to get different angles on his surroundings. No Insectoid Man. He could always just be sitting behind some other object; tactical cover from his rescuer. Wouldn't that just figure. 

Kelly took out a silver whistle and blew. Wind ruffled the grey feathers covering his scalp where hair more usually tended to be, and he waited.

#25 Rick Starr

Rick Starr

My Special Little Guy

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

The Insectoid Mann sat up in the field and looked around for the origin of the whistling. It was the strangest bird cry that Rick had ever heard and he didn't want to have stumbled into some endangered bird species last remaining burial ground. Today was not a day that Rick could deal with the last of a dying oceanic hawk species perching on him and slowly extinguishing itself by some arcane genetic programming. He would never be able to show himself in environmentalist circles again, forever branded as anathema to the causes of conservationists everywhere. 

Oh, it was the officer. 

He stood up and wondered how it had already been two hours. Imaginary Boreas and his analysis of clouds was interesting but there was only so many times that his brain could argue that a cloud looked like a baseball player before even Rick grew fed up. In the time that he had spent watching the sky, the duo had counted fourteen baseball players, a stunning portrait of Babe Ruth, a dinosaur, and three clouds that were probably just flocks of seagulls. 

user posted image

#26 Kristján

Kristján

the devil you know

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Kelly lifted one arm and waved to the Insectoid Man to approach, as he could see from where he was that his American hero refugee/undocumented immigrant was a bit perplexed by something, and it was important to be reassuring at times like these. Elsewise the civilian might become distressed and the whole thing would become a great deal more complicated. There was just no need for complicated.

If only Kelly knew what he was letting into his vehicle. He could see that the photos matched the person some distance before him, but that told him nothing of the horrors which lay within and he was utterly unprepared. 

Once Insectoid Man was close enough to have spotted the black suit, the hat with the checkered brim hanging in Kelly's hand, and quite probably the Reserve Constable's face--though he was not always clear on at what distances other people saw things--he said, "Hullo! Insectoid Man, I presume. Gone for a swim, have you?"

#27 Rick Starr

Rick Starr

My Special Little Guy

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

"I suppose you could say that," he gave his best post-waking-up-in-the-Falklands smile that he could manage and offered a hand for shaking. "It really means a lot that you're helping me out like this. It'd have taken a hell of a lot longer to try swimming home from here." 

Nothing that Rick had said was a lie. It would take considerably longer to swim across the globe in a random direction and hope he would eventually reach Metro City again. Even his boy scout training had never really prepared him for waking up in the Falkland Islands. 

All things considered this wasn't the worst way to spend the aftermath of one of his little vacations. At no point had he woken up to find out that he'd eaten more then a heads worth of hair and beard trimmings. Nor had he woken up being vivisected by a deep sea species of vicious Atlanticans which were fictional unlike the very real Aquaticans.

user posted image

#28 Kristján

Kristján

the devil you know

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

Kelly reached out to shake hands, taking special care with the talons on the ends of his fingers since he had no idea that he could have literally pulled Rick's face off and it would probably have been fine by the time there were any witnesses. Also he wouldn't do that. Nobody did those things, did they?

"I do suppose it would, yes! If you'll take the passenger seat in the Land Rover and get on your seatbelt, we'll be off to find you a flight back. It'll be a long one, though, so you might want to have a proper shower first to wash the ocean off." 

Sometimes people just swam to the Falkland Islands from North America. Sure. Kelly figured such people would want a shower afterward.

#29 Rick Starr

Rick Starr

My Special Little Guy

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

"Oh, most of this is rain water, I think." Rick had never actually shaken hands with anybody that had talons. Sure, he had shaken hands with a variety of traditional nailed hands with or without a variety of hooks, suckers, and setae. Then there was that time that Sven had a crab claw for a hand but he had gotten over that pretty quickly. 

Rick walked over to the land rover and wondered if he should call Nicki about all of this. She might have been curious where he had gotten to over the last couple of days. It wasn't like this was the worst thing to ever happen? Sometimes your boyfriend just swam the length of the atlantic and hung out with penguins for a day. Anyways, soon enough this would be over. Rick would have a shower then he'd have a nice flight while home in some cramped cabin with an inflight movie playing muted overhead. He could already imagine the taste of those tiny airline peanuts. 

user posted image

#30 Kristján

Kristján

the devil you know

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

"Ah. Well, whatever you want to do is fine," Kelly said, claiming the driver's seat as was proper and buckling himself in. "Seat belt please. Insurance reasons."

Kelly drove them from a generally beaten-down implication of a road to a real intentional gravel track. After that, it was about twenty minutes until the gravel turned into proper sealed asphalt. Eventually there was the implication of visible city blocks, which was all surely very exciting.

"Just need to stop by the government office to do a little paperwork and then it's off you go. Straight east to the airport."

#31 Rick Starr

Rick Starr

My Special Little Guy

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

"Sure, grab whatever paperwork you need. Should I just wait in the car?" He wasn't precisely sure on the polite way to be rescued from the Falkland Islands by a government bureaucracy, there might be a way these things were meant to go.

user posted image

#32 Kristján

Kristján

the devil you know

• Superheroes
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

"Nah, need you to sign some things certifying that I got you back to the station safe and sound and didn't brutalize you or any such nonsense. If you find an excuse to drop a word to the chief superintendant about my heroically rescuing you from geese and penguins you're more than welcome but I don't expect you'll have the opportunity."

Thankfully Rick had come from a country that did not require a specific visitor's visa, and the main problem was that he hadn't come through customs. However, considering that some sort of USA-approved heroism was going on out in international waters and he'd apparently found safe haven in this very very southern point of the United Kingdom, mostly they all just needed to make a record of the incident. 

While Reserve Constable Kelly was signing his portion of the form, a colleague delivered a sealed envelope to his desk. He picked it up, and handed it off to the disappointingly-humanoid vigilante known as Insectoid Man. On the front was written Insectoid Man in dark orange ink. It was light, so it probably did not contain a pony, a severed head, or a flock of blackbirds, unless any or all of those things were very very small. 

No, inside the envelope was a single folded sheet of lined notebook paper, half-sized, like the kind that people could load into personal planners. 

Rick could see purple ink through the cheap paper, and when he unfolded it, written in tiny and cramped but unmistakeably familiar handwriting in somebody's favorite purple metallic gel pen. For the purple metallic gel pen to have been employed, it must have been a special occasion indeed!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rick, Kristján

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

OUR SUPER BEST FRIENDS
WPR RPG-D Bordertown